IAM in cybersecurity is a framework consisting of policies, procedures, and processes to enable enterprises to have better control over users’ authentication and access to sensitive data, systems, and resources.
IAM reduces identity-related risks, security breaches, provides security compliance, and enhances security across the enterprise.
Gartner says, “IAM is the security discipline that enables the right individuals to access the right resources at the right times and for the right reasons.”
Why Do You Need IAM?
Digital accounts of your employees are your organization’s data treasure and their credentials are keys to it.
More often than not, a majority of the global workforce fails to protect their credentials and this leaves the door wide open for the attackers.
Data breaches caused because of identity and access compromises are increasing every day.
According to Verizon, 61% of all breaches involve credentials compromised via social engineering or other network attacks.
At the moment, the priority of IT is to determine the most effective ways to protect remote users’ identities while also ensuring the relevant resources are securely accessible and available to them as needed.
IAM exactly solves this by problem focusing on user(s) identity and security.
Key Objectives of IAM:
By identifying, authenticating, and authorizing users, IAM enhances the overall effectiveness of your enterprise security.
Here are the key objectives of IAM:
- To ensure confidentiality, integrity, and availability of data and systems
- To identify and authenticate users based on their roles and contextual information
- To improve security against insider threats, fraud detection, and have proper access management
- To ensure that your enterprise (or) organization meets various regulatory criteria for the detection and identification of suspicious behavior
Key Benefits of IAM:
IAM offers the following benefits to your enterprise:
- Eliminates the risks of weak or default credentials
- Efficiently identifies and blocks malicious activities
- Assists your enterprise in meeting regulatory compliance or audit requirements
- Reduces operating costs
- Simplifies sign-up/sign-in and user management processes
Secure your enterprise right now – Start 15 Days Free Trial